Shoulder and Elbow Surgery
Dr. Mark Schultzel is a Board-Certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in shoulder and elbow surgery. His practice focus is shoulder and elbow reconstruction (arthroplasty), arthroscopy, and upper extremity sports medicine surgery.
Dr. Schultzel received his medical degree at UC San Diego and completed residency at UMKC. He completed a shoulder and elbow surgery fellowship at the prestigious Kerlan Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic.
He is a respected expert in disorders of the shoulder and elbow, ranging from arthroplasty and sports injuries to fracture care. He has extensive experience in arthroscopic surgery and in shoulder arthroplasty and is one of the few surgeons in San Diego to be a member of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons (ASES). Dr. Schultzel has published extensively in major medical journals on topics in shoulder and elbow surgery and general orthopedics, and has been an invited speaker to both national and international conferences. He is also a member of the American Orthopaedic Association (AOA) honor society.
Dr. Schultzel volunteers with the US Olympic Committee and USA Kendo as a sports medicine physician, and also provides mentorship to numerous college students, medical students, and residents in the San Diego community. In his spare time, he enjoys kendo and scuba diving.
Despite his small-town upbringing, extensive international travel throughout Dr. Schultzel’s growing years brought opportunities for unique learning experiences and expanded his worldview. It has shaped his character and contributed to his understanding of patients from all walks of life. Being multilingual and understanding others’ cultures has taught him how better to empathize with patients and to create a more trusting doctor-patient relationship. His care philosophy is to treat patients with compassion and empathy, as if they were family, and to employ evidence-based medicine and a team-based approach to cutting-edge surgical care.
Meet the Doctors Schultzel
Sharp Health News, July 16, 2020
“Matthew Schultzel, DO, is a surgeon who specializes in colorectal and minimally invasive robotic surgery. Mark Schultzel, MD, is an orthopedic surgeon affiliated with Sharp Community Medical Group, specializing in shoulder and elbow surgery. Both are affiliated with Sharp HealthCare — and both are great admirers of each other’s work…” Read the full article.
Managing Shoulder Pain
Sharp Health News, November 16, 2020
Shoulder pain is incredibly common. In fact, it’s the third most common musculoskeletal complaint — meaning pain that affects the bones, muscles, ligaments, tendons and nerves.
“There is nothing more rewarding than helping someone regain a sense of independence when their shoulder is no longer painful or limiting,” says Dr. Schultzel. “I chose this profession for a reason, and that was to help people return to the activities that they love.” Read the full article.
- Fellowship: Shoulder and Elbow Surgery – Kerlan Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic, 2015-2016
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency – University of Missouri, Kansas City, 2010-2015
- Surgical Internship – University of California, San Diego, 2009-2010
- Medical School – University of California, San Diego, 2005-2009
- Undergraduate – University of California, San Diego, 2001-2005
- Bachelors of Science – General Biology
- Bachelors of Arts – Psychology
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Magna Cum Laude
Services provided by Dr. Schultzel include:
- Shoulder and Elbow Arthroplasty
- Shoulder and Elbow Arthroscopy
- Shoulder and Elbow Instability Procedures (Tommy John, Latarjet, etc.)
- Shoulder and Elbow Fracture Care
- Sports Injury Care
- Carpal and Cubital Tunnel Syndrome Treatment
- General Orthopedics and Fracture Care
- Sharp Memorial Hospital
- Scripps Memorial La Jolla Hospital
- Sharp Grossmont Hospital
- Sharp Coronado Hospital
- Sharp Chula Vista Hospital
- Palomar Hospital
- North County Surgical Center
Licensures & Certifications
- Medical Board of California
- Qualified Medical Examiner
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery – Board-Certified
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Association
- California Orthopaedic Association
- San Diego County Medical Society
- Synergy Orthopedic Specialists Medical Group
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Emerging Professionals Committee
- Shoulder and Elbow Academic Committee
- (formerly) Executive Committee – Member At Large
- (formerly) Resident Assembly
- American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons (ASES)
- International Fellowship Committee
- American Orthopaedic Association (AOA)
- Social Media Advisory Committee
Awards and Recognition
- Eagle Scout Award
- American Orthopaedic Association Resident Leadership Award
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
- UCSD Rady School of Management Brandes Scholar
- UCSD Triton Changemaker Award
- Fowler UN GSIC COVID-19 Award
- Shoulder Dislocations. Kaiser Permanente San Diego Emergency Medicine Grand Rounds, San Diego, CA, July 11, 2019
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Compartment Syndrome. Kaiser Permanente San Diego Emergency Medicine Grand Rounds, San Diego, CA, July 11, 2019
- ORIF Proximal Humerus Fractures. Kerlan Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic/Kerlan Jobe Institute Grand Rounds, Los Angeles, CA, November 18, 2015.
- Sports Injuries in Kendo: Prevention and Treatment. SCKF Annual Planning Meeting, Torrance, CA, August 13, 2016
- Rehabilitation Modalities for Recovery from Proximal Humerus Fracture Fixation and Arthroplasty. Adventist Health Centers PT/OT Grand Rounds, Los Angeles, CA, July 15, 2015.
- The Incidence of Injuries in Kendo. Rex L. Diveley Research Lectureship, Kansas City, MO April 2015.
- Brachial Plexus Injuries and Abnormal Shoulder Development. Children’s Mercy Lillian Diveley Lectureship, Kansas City, MO, November, 2012.
- Preventing Injuries in Kendo: Pathways to Training Smarter. AUSKF Annual Planning Meeting, Los Angeles, CA, October 22, 2016
- Open Superior Capsular Reconstruction with Lat Dorsi Transfer: 2 year results. Orthopaedic Surgery Controversies (Nottage Course). Dana Point, CA, January 22, 2016.
- Non-reproducible Results: Interposition “Conservative” Procedures. Orthopaedic Surgery Controversies (Nottage Course). Dana Point, CA, January 22, 2016.
- Pre-op and Post-op ROM for Arthroplasty and Changes in Outcome. Orthopaedic Surgery Controversies (Nottage Course). Dana Point, CA, January 22, 2016.
- Painful Arthroplasty Cases. Orthopaedic Surgery Controversies (Nottage Course). Dana Point, CA, January 22, 2016.
- Role for Transfers: Pectoralis, Lat Dorsi. Orthopaedic Surgery Controversies (Nottage Course). Dana Point, CA, January 22, 2016.
- Nightmare Cases: Malunion-Nonunion Proximal Humerus Fracture. Orthopaedic Surgery Controversies (Nottage Course). Dana Point, CA, January 22, 2016.
- Complications of AC Joint Reconstruction. Orthopaedic Surgery Controversies (Nottage Course). Dana Point, CA, January 23, 2016.
- Management of Shoulder Trauma in Baseball Players. Injury Prevention and Treatment Techniques Baseball Medicine Conference. Los Angeles, CA, November 21, 2015.
- Standard, Short Stem, and Stemless Arthroplasty, Why and When?, Advanced Concepts in Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Surgery, Foundation for Orthopaedic Research and Education, Las Vegas, NV, November 8, 2015
- Revision Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty, Advanced Concepts in Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Surgery, Foundation for Orthopaedic Research and Education, Las Vegas, NV, November 8, 2015
- Superior Capsular Reconstruction with Latissimus Transfer, Advanced Concepts in Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Surgery, Foundation for Orthopaedic Research and Education, Las Vegas, NV, November 7, 2015
- The Prevalence of Psychological Distress in Head and Neck Cancer Patients. American Geriatric Society. San Diego, March 2006
- Pain Control in the Orthopedic Surgery Patient. Japanese Society of Anesthesiology Winter Seminar, Sapporo, Japan. February 9-11, 2018.
- Pearls and Pitfalls in Reverse Shoulder Replacement. Japanese Orthopaedic Association Winter Meeting, Sapporo, Japan. February 11, 2018.
- Metal Allergies in Orthopaedic Surgery Patient. Japanese Orthopaedic Association Winter Meeting, Sapporo, Japan. February 11, 2018.
- AC Joint Dislocations: To Fix or Not to Fix. Acumed Asia-Pacific Bioskills Course. Tokyo, Japan. November 4-5, 2016.
- Humeral Shaft Fractures. Acumed Asia-Pacific Bioskills Course. Tokyo, Japan. November 4-5, 2016.
- Proximal Humerus Fractures. Acumed Asia-Pacific Bioskills Course. Tokyo, Japan. November 4-5, 2016.
- Sports Injuries in Kendo Athletes. All Japan Kendo Championships. Tokyo, Japan. November 3, 2016.
- Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty Techniques. Teikyo Medical University Visiting Grand Rounds. Tokyo, Japan, May 5-8, 2014.
- American v. Japanese Medical Practice. Dokkyo/Teikyo Medical Universities Visiting Lectureships: Tochigi, Japan, May 2015, 2010.
- The Practice of Medicine in America. Dokkyo Medical University Visiting Lectureship: Tochigi, Japan, May 2009.
- Schultzel M., Klein C., Demirjian M., Blount C., Itamura J.M.
Incidence of Metal Hypersensitivity Orthopaedic Surgery Patients Who Self-Report
(Accepted into The Permanente Journal July 7, 2019)
- Scheidt K., Schultzel M., Itamura J.M.
Does metal allergy have relevance in patients undergoing arthroplasty—an electronic survey of surgeon attitudes.
Annals of Joint [Online], 4 (2019): Web. 18 Jul. 2019
- Singh A., Schultzel M., Cafri G., Yian E., Dillon M., Navarro R.
Risk Factors for Mortality and Readmission Following Hemiarthroplasty for Proximal Humerus Fracture.
Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Arthroplasty (3): 1-6. January 2019.
- Singh, A., Schultzel M., Fleming J., Navarro R.
Complications after Surgical Treatment of Distal Clavicle Fractures
Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2019 Jun 12. pii: S1877-0568(19)30130-6.
- Van Eck C., Klein CM, Rahmi H, Scheidt K, Schultzel M, Lee BK, Itamura JM.
Morbidity, Mortality and Cost of Osteoporotic Fractures – Should Proximal Humerus Fractures be taken as Seriously as Hip Fractures?
Annals of Joint. 4:3, January 2019.
- Schultzel M. Klein C.M.., Hay D.C., Itamura J.
Sub-Acute Brachial Plexus Injuries in Mid-shaft Clavicle Fractures
Scientific Pages Orthop Rheumatism 2017, 1(1):3-7. March 2017.
- Schultzel M, Scheidt K., Klein C., Narvy S., Argintar E., Itamura J.M.
Elbow Hemiarthroplasty: Mid-term follow-up results
Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 26(3): 389–393, March 2017.
- Schultzel M., Schultzel M., Wentz B., Bernhardt, M.
The Prevalence of Injury in Kendo.
The Physician and Sportsmedicine 11(1): 1-5, Nov 2015.
- Schultzel M., Johnson M.H., Rosenthal H.G.
Bilateral deltoid myositis ossificans in a weightlifter using anabolic steroids.
Orthopaedics. 37(9):e844-7. Sep 2014.
- Schultzel M., Weisman M., Loscalzo M., Sadler G.
The Risk Factors Associated with Psychological Distress in Patients with Head and Neck Cancer
JAMA Archives of Otolaryngology. 132(8): 874-875, Aug 2006
- von Rozycki T., Schultzel M., Saier MH Jr.
Sequence analyses of cyanobacterial bicarbonate transporters and their homologues.
J Mol Microbiol BioTechnol 7(3):102-8, 2004.
- Schultzel, M., Itamura, J.
Technique pearls for revision shoulder arthroplasty aid in preventing fracture, preserving bone stock.
Orthopaedics Today. September 2016.
- Schultzel, M.
Resident Stress and Burnout: Prevalence, Predictors, Prevention, and Intervention
AAOS Now, AAOS. April 2016.
- Schultzel, M.
Succeeding in Fellowship Interviews
AAOS Resident’s Newsletter. AAOS. December 2015.
- Schultzel, M.
The Human Condition. UCSD School of Medicine. 2009 (14): 24.
- Schultzel, M., Tamura AS.
“Sympathy Tears for the General”
The Human Condition. UCSD School of Medicine. 2007 (12): 32-33.